(Apologies for multiple posting)
We are happy to inform you that the deadline for poster submissions for the 2016 PLIN day, hosted by the Linguistics Research Unit of UCLouvain in Belgium, has been extended to February 15th. The registration deadline for all participants is March 30th.
More information and registration (free for all Belgian participants)
The main objective of the workshop is to bring together specialists from a number of different but related fields to discuss the specificities of language in the new media. The workshop will thus offer a view of different approaches to language in the new media. We are happy to welcome the following keynote speakers:
- Patricia Bou-Franch (Universitat de València): Reconsidering Identities and Relationships in the Social Media
- Walter Daelemans (Universiteit Antwerpen): Profiling Social Media Users with Text Analysis
- Elisabeth Stark (University of Zurich): The relevance of text messages for grammatical research
- Caroline Tagg (The Open University): Text messaging then and now: how time, technology and trends shape respelling practices over time
- Olga Volckaert-Legrier (Université Toulouse Jean Jaurès): Étude des fonctions des SMS chez les adolescents à travers un corpus longitudinal
Furthermore, Roland Legrand, digital newsmanager of the newspaper De Tijd, will offer a journalistic perspective on this topic.
The poster sessions, which will include time for a short oral presentation of each poster, offer a forum for numerous other research trends. If you’re a PhD student, you’re eligible for the Best Poster Award! We also invite companies which develop research or research-based applications concerning language and new media, to submit a poster proposal.
Posters may deal with language and the new (instant) media in any of the following linguistic domains:
- Discourse analysis
- Language norms and contacts
- Corpus Linguistics
- Natural Language Processing
- Language Statistics
- Deadline for poster proposal submissions: 15 February 2016
- Notification of acceptance of poster: 1 March 2016
- Registration deadline for all participants: 30 March 2016
- Submission of Power Point Presentations for the posters boost session: 1 May 2016
We are also happy to inform you that the Annual Linguistic Day of the Linguistic Society of Belgium will also be held at UCL, on 13 May 2016, the day after the PLIN day (http://www.uclouvain.be/en-528988.html)
Louise-Amélie Cougnon (Girsef – Cental), Barbara De Cock (Valibel – Discours et variation) and Cédrick Fairon (Cental)
Follow @plindayucl on Twitter for the latest news!